Tuesday, 21 January 2014

'BEA CHUSS SHAEHID' - A Play Review


A Play review 
‘Bea Chus Sheahid’ a play was organized by Theater for Kashmir in the auditorium of S.P College on 6th January 2014. Arshad Mushtaq a Srinagar based theater worker was the director and the playwright. The play came up with a clear message of transferring the struggle to the next generation, the play lucidly showed how our ancestors fought with the variety of challenges from the last 60 years and the most important challenge is the scenario of mass disappearances. Some lost their husbands and some lost their beloved sons and the chain goes on and on. The play very beautifully depicted their pain and agony. And how even today they are in the search of their loved ones, even today when years have passed, they want to share their sweet moments and achievements with their beloved who left them and never came back. While they think of sharing any moment with their beloveds, they quickly come to realize that they have left us forever.

Waiting for their beloveds to come

The play also exemplifies the behavior of our young generation, that is being reluctant towards carrying their mission i.e. the whereabouts of those who have taken away from their dear ones and other things associated with the same. The play, in the start shows a man who was struggling from past many decades and now was in search of somebody who will take this struggle forward. He was not tired, but he wanted the younger generation to take responsibility now.  The play beautifully shows how their (young generation) behavior is, how they are busy in their daily dealings and how they don’t pay any heed to the mission which is their identity. As one of the character says “Ye che myaen zaaan” (this is my identity), pointing towards the a bunch of letters which were written by those whose loved ones left them forever, leaving no trace behind. The character continues while addressing the young boy and says “Yath manz che myaen zaan, chaen zaaan te yemman saarnee hinzz zaan”(This is my identity, this is your identity and this their identity too), pointing towards the audience.

One of the scene in which a lady narrates how she is living her life after his beloved son left her forever, she says “Azz te yelle baras thuk chu gachaan, baasan chum che ma chukh” (Even today when there is knock on the door, I for a second think that it is you). This scene was very emotional and a picture came into my mind that how the mothers of all those who have been disappeared would be living their lives. They were really tormented and they are still suffering. This scene visualized everything for me..

The heart rendering scene was when a man came to the stage, a grave digger by profession and who was blind. He narrates how he used to bury the unidentified bodies. It took my heart out when he said “ Myoun munne te oas na gaeb gomut, temis oas buthis peath lakhchun, khabar me maa aaase suttee dafnowmut, Kenh cham te khabar” (My son Munne was also disappeared, he had a mole on his face. Perhaps I might have buried him also. I don’t know) . That was really moving.

Most part of the play was very emotional and at some point of time tears trickled down my eyes, instead of the fact that a lady was sitting beside me, I should have controlled myself. But no, I was crying like anything. Not my fault. I couldn’t control. Same was the case with the entire audience of about 200 people.

The set was organized in such a way that for me I thought that this is not a play and this is not an artificial set. It was organized in accordance to the theme. I was drowned deep into it. And when the play ended,  I came to realize, no it was the SP College auditorium, but the theme had already made its way deep into my mind.

The main theme of the play, which I also discussed before was to lay emphasis on the obligation of every new generation to take this responsibility, to carry this struggle on, to contain this pain and agony and not lose your heart. And it ended when the young boy testified that from now, this is my responsibility to take this struggle forward and contain the pain which my ancestors did. When the old man demanded to return that bunch of letters , the boy protested and said “Na.. Waen che myaen zaaan’ (No.. From now onwards this will be my identity)


The play whispered into my ear that ‘This is your responsibility too’ . And do you think we all should say in unison that ‘Aes Che Shaehid te Ye che saen zaan’ (We are the witness and this is our identity) ???

No comments:

Post a Comment